The Essex Riviera
Walton-on-the-Naze is a family seaside resort with sandy beaches, seafront gardens and quaint narrow streets. A relaxed seaside experience with friendly people and a huge sandy beach, perfect for a leisurely stroll and children having a great time digging holes and building sandcastles. The promenade stretches for miles, perfect for walking or cycling and dogs are allowed on the beach so the whole family can enjoy the seaside.
The pier is the second longest in England and has fairground rides, ten pin bowling, arcades, icecreams, drinks and snacks so whatever the weather there is always something to do at Walton!
Just to the north is The Naze, an unspoilt headland of heath, saltmarshes and sandy beaches - its 70 feet high cliffs are being eroded away. It is also the site of the 86 foot Octagonal Naze Tower which is currently used as a gallery which spreads across six floors and houses three exhibitions each year. Other features include a museum which details the history of the Naze Tower and tea rooms where you can stop and enjoy refreshments between different exhibitions. The Naze is also famous for its fossils found in the Red Crag cliffs, so you can truly immerse yourself in the history and culture of the local area.
Walton is 1.5 hours from London Liverpool Street and the station is a very short walk from the Beach Huts. By car it is 30 minute drive from Colchester.
Our Family’s Top 10 Things to do when staying in Walton
- Spend a day in a beach hut!
- Pub Lunch at The Victory or fish and chips at The Beach House
- Walk along the prom turning right towards Frinton and if you’re feeling very energetic it’s a fabulous 7 mile walk to Clacton pier with the footpath following the sea the whole way!
- Walk along the prom turning left towards Harwich. Walk all the way to the Naze stopping for coffee and ice creams at Hipkins Cafe with a great view of Eastcliff Beach
- Hunt for prehistoric sharks teeth and fossils on the beach at the foot of the Naze Tower and go up the tower for the fabulous view. Also a fabulous visitor centre at the Naze with lots of info about the local area.
- Day out in Harwich - park by the Ha’penny pier, take a boat tour round the harbour and get up close to the massive container ships on the other side of the water at Felixstowe docks. Have lunch at The Pier (posh AA rated!) or The Alma pub. Apparently the Thai restaurant is also very good but not been ourselves. Walk through the old town to the Redoubt Fort which is an amazingly well-kept fort built against Napoleonic invasion!
- Take a boat tour from Titchmarsh Marina in Walton and go seal watching and explore the backwaters. Call Tony on 07806 309460 or 07596 597615 to book
- The pier - have fun on the rides and slot machines and even go 10-pin bowling! Lots of fun and great for a beach day when the weather is not so good!
- Walton Swimming pool - great indoor pool with a shallow section for kids and a flume for all ages!
- Train ride from Walton to Frinton, have a browse along the high street, coffee and ice cream at Poppins Cafe and then either walk back along the beach or train ride home!
- Obviously some of these things have seasonal opening times so do check with them directly for their opening hours!